Sulzer, Conrad

From HistoryWiki
(Redirected from Conrad Sulzer)

Conrad Sulzer Soundex Code S426

In 1837, Conrad Sulzer (1807-1873) of Winterthur, Zürich, Switzerland, became the first white settler to live in Township of Lake View.

Sulzer arrived in Chicago in 1836, turned wilderness into a livestock farm and a horticulture garden.

He also served as collector of Ridgeville Township and assessor of Township of Lake View.

Sulzer Regional Library is named for him.

The mansion was built for Conrad Sulzer, who came to Chicago in 1837. It remained in the Sulzer family until the 1950s, when it was donated to Trinity College. Trinity used the house until it relocated to the northern suburbs in 1965. The Victorian mansion sits on six city lots that add up to a 0.42-acre parcel.

Built in 1888, the six bedroom mansion was once owned by actress Joan Cusack and her attorney husband, Richard Burke, from 1998, when they bought it for $905,000, until they sold it in 2007 for $4.66 million. Cusack and Burke now own a Gold Coast mansion.