Devon Carbarn (1901-1957) Soundex Code D150
6454-64 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60626
The Devon Carbarn, located at 6454-64 N. Clark Street, was built by the Chicago Union Traction Company and opened in 1901. This building extended nearly two full blocks. This carbarn was closed on Saturday, September 7, 1957, when the CTA converted the last North Side streetcar route to buses. The 24th District-Rogers Park is now located on this site. The carbarn was a depot for several North Side streetcar routes: 22 Clark, 49 Western, 36 Broadway, 155 Devon.
A major fire on Thursday, January 26, 1922, destroyed 80 wooden streetcars, but the Chicago Surface Lines, the world's largest streetcar operator, had all of the barn's lines running the next day.
The conductors, motormen, and mechanics had their own baseball team, The Limits, who played at the Rogers Park.
RPWRHS photo B042-0201 shows a flower box at the Chicago Surface Lines Devon Carbarn, 6454-64 N. Clark Street, circa 1930.
RPWRHS photo B042-0202 shows the Chicago Surface Lines, Devon Carbarn, at 6454-64 N. Clark Street. A row of plantings. circa 1930.
RPWRHS photo B042-0203 shows the Chicago Surface Lines, Devon Carbarn, at 6454-64 N. Clark Street. Plantings and fence. circa 1930.
RPWRHS photo C043-25985 shows Chicago Surface Lines, Devon Carbarn, 6454-64 N. Clark Street, Photo: June 13, 1923.
RPWRHS photo R044-0231 shows the Devon Carbarn, 6454-64 N. Clark Street. No date given.
RPWRHS photo S013-0376 shows Devon Avenue Car Barn September 1972.
RPWRHS photo S013-0377 shows Devon Avenue Car Barn September 1972.
RPWRHS photo S013-0378 shows demolished Devon Avenue Car Barn, March 1978.