Field & Leiter Department Store

From HistoryWiki

In 1865, Levi Leiter and Marshall Field bought an interest in Potter Palmer’s store and it became known as Field, Palmer and Leiter until 1867 when Palmer sold his interest. The store then became known as Field, Leiter and Company. Marshall Field sent his older brother Joseph to Manchester, England to establish a buying office in 1869.

In 1881, Levi Leiter retired and the store became known as Marshall Field and Company. Field continued to lead the company and he became known as the world’s foremost merchant.