Peter Schmidt (actual spelling was "Schmitt") came here from Beirn-Trier in 1836. His daughter, Maria Anna Schmidt married John Zender, another early settler. Schmidt had 200 acres. He and Zender ran a saloon. The first house was a blockhouse with a 10-foot stockade.
The location of Schmidt's home is now 6665 N. Ridge Boulevard, but the current house is the third that has been built in this location.