190 N. State Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Screens: Single Screen
Style: French Renaissance
Firm: Rapp & Rapp
Built in 1919 as a vaudeville house for the Orpheum circuit, the State-Lake later became the major venue for the RKO theater chain in Chicago (along with the Palace Theater on Randolph Street). The theater is named for its location on the corner of State Street and Lake Streets, across the street from the State and Lake "L" Station.
It was built a couple years before the Chicago Theater, which sits just across the street from the State-Lake, by the same architects, Rapp & Rapp, who designed it in a similar style as the French Renaissance style Chicago, though the State-Lake was nowhere near as grandiose as its cousin across the street. The theater became part of the Balaban & Katz chain in 1938, which continued a policy of live acts and movies until 1941, when the State-Lake switched to movies-only.
The exterior was restored to it's 1920s appearance (except for its marquee and ticket booth) and is still quite an impressive bookend to the Chicago Theater across State Street.